Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Love that Believed

For Valentine's Day

When you walked into my life
I knew.
Not like you know the lessons from a blackboard

or a textbook; I knew the way you know that day’s weather
won’t ruin your picnic.
I believed in you so I let you borrow my trust;
I’ve never wanted it back.

When I met you, I knew.
Not in the way we would talk for hours

or how we found time to be together when others
scurried off the beach.
It was in the way I couldn’t look in your eyes
without blushing
and the way you always make me laugh.


When you said hello my heart knew
I would never let you go.
You are the North to my compass.

When kudzu chokes the sculpted maze of
everyday life or my personal hurricanes
ravage well-crafted dreams
the serenity in your eyes steadies me.

Somehow, though, I always knew.
Being with you felt right in the pink streams
of the fading sun and in the quiet trickle
of a winding mountain stream.
It still feels right in the hot ocean breezes and
the whispering wind coursing through palm fronds.
I'm glad I believed in the us that still makes my heart skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment